Wednesday, April 22, 2009

One of Life's Great Mysteries

OK, there are some things in life that you just can't explain. No matter how hard you try. I'm not talking about Stonehenge here. I'm talking about socks. You know what I mean. When you do laundry and find that lone sock, the one without a mate. Where in the hell do those socks go?

I have gone on search and rescue missions to no avail. I've searched high and low - under beds, behind the couch. Once, I even dismantled my dryer in hopes that a sock or two or twenty had somehow gotten sucked through the back. The only thing I gained through that little experiment was a big pile of lint a huge scratch on my leg from tripping over the various parts of dryer and landing on the lint trap. No socks.

I have a box full of the socks without matches. They come in all colors and styles, and no one in my family is immune. Even the kids have a collection of unmatched socks. The sad thing is that their feet will probably grow too big to fit in them by the time I find the matches.

My husband thinks we should throw out all of our socks - even the ones that are in a pair. He thinks we should all start fresh and buy one style of sock. His philosophy is that if we each have only one type of sock, there will always be a match. It seems like a good idea in theory, but I just can't fathom such an outrageous thought. I mean, doesn't he know that a girl needs different socks? Fuzzy ones, colored ones, striped ones, ones with toes?

I can't even bring myself to throw out the ones in the mismatched box. I just keep thinking that someday I will prevail in this fight and find the long lost matches. Every now and then I do find a match, and let me tell you - that feels good. It's like a small victory each time.

1 comment:

Diane said...

We too have a sock "orphanage" - usually when I give up and throw out the mismatched sock, it's mate will show up in the next batch of laundry.

Your husband is on to something with the same sock theory. I don't do it for myself, but my boys each have a different type of white sock. It wasn't to avoid the lost sock - rather so I could tell which sock belonged to whom. Worked well until their feet grew.