Monday, April 20, 2009

Sibling Bliss

Sophie was just about to turn two when we decided that we wanted to try for another baby. I thought it would be nice for my kids to be close in age so they would hopefully grow up as friends. A few weeks after we started trying I took the pregnancy test, and lo and behold I was pregnant! Maybe it was the hormones or maybe it was the fact that it happened so fast, but I was suddenly wondering if the timing was right. It might sound crazy (and looking back it was), but I kept thinking how unfair this would be for Sophie. She wouldn't be an only child anymore and what if I didn't have enough love to go around? (By the way, as everyone assured me - there is definitely enough love to go around!)

As my due date got closer, I was excited and apprehensive. What the heck had I been thinking? Things with Sophie had finally gotten easier. She was sleeping through the night, eating regular food and on the fast track to being potty trained. Now, here I was about to be up at all hours of the night nursing an infant and changing countless dirty diapers. I tried to be rational and think that in a couple of years this baby would also be sleeping through the night and out of diapers, but when nine months of pregnancy drag sooo slow it's hard to look so far ahead.

Finally my due date came - and went. I was still pregnant. Hmm. Sophie had been six days earlier so silly me thought for sure Aiden would also be early.. Maybe even earlier than Sophie, but this was not the case. My doctor decided to induce me on May 21. When he told me the date, I was surprised. Sophie's birthday is September 21 so it seemed like a fate, it was all meant to be. Both of my babies would be born on the 21 of their respective months. Well, fate almost pulled a cruel joke when my induction didn't progress and my doctor considered sending me home. I pretty much refused to even consider such a sick joke, and luckily for us all (but mostly the dr.) things worked out and Aiden arrived, healthy and beautiful.

I won't lie. The first few months were not easy, but we made it through. Sophie warmed up to her brother and fell into the role of "Big Sister" with ease. She wanted to help change him, bath him, hold him - you name it. Of course there were plenty of times when she asked me to "put the baby away", but for the most part she simply adores him.

Fast forward to today when out of the blue Sophie said, "Mommy, I'm so happy we got my baby brother from the hospital. I just love him." I swear, my heart melted and swelled with pride at the same time. She really loves him. Now, I'm not totally naive. I know there will be plenty of sibling rivalry moments and times when they are at war with each other, but so far so good.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Amber, I can guarantee you will be a pro by the time #3 arrives. :)

Just kidding!

What a beautiful blog entry.