Saturday, April 18, 2009

Where Does a Year Go?

In a few short days my son will be eleven months old. Yes, that's right, my baby will be having his first birthday next month. What the heck? I could swear it was just yesterday I was hobbling around the house pregnant and miserable counting down the days until my due date. Of course, it seems like just yesterday when I was hugely pregnant and miserable with my daughter, and she's three and a half.

My kids are growing up and I have to say, it's going way too fast and I don't like it. No, I don't like it at all, but it doesn't seem there is anything I can do about it. I keep hoping maybe someone will invent a way to freeze time and we can all just continue in the here and now. My kids will stay young, sweet and innocent and I'll never have to let them go. Surely with all of the technology out there, this is possible?

Of course, at the same time I love watching my kids grow up and learn about the world. I love that Sophie is old enough to play Candy Land and it's so much fun to just sit back and watch her budding imagination while she runs around playing. Aiden is walking and babbling and so curious about everyday things. It's great to look at things through their eyes and see things as new and exciting.

I guess like any mother I just worry. I worry about all of the bad things in the world and how I can continue to protect my kids from all of the hate and violence out there. I know we can all just do the best we can. That's why I constantly tell them both how much I love them. I try to surround them with as much positive influence as possible and teach them to respect the Earth and each other.

The important thing is to just enjoy each day - even the crazy ones. This is what I try to tell myself when popsicles are dripping on the carpet or Aiden wakes up at 3:00 am screaming. Someday they'll both be older and I'll miss these days.

2 comments:

Allison said...

That's what I like to call "Pie and Ice Cream Moments" on my blog! Great post!

Jo Y said...

Amber, savour every single minute, my eldest becomes a teenager in July, goodness knows how that happened!!!